Amanda Lester and the Pink Sugar Conspiracy

Amanda Lester and the Pink Sugar Conspiracy - Paula Berinstein This book started out slow. I loved the premise, and the story was alright, but I wasn't crazy about the characters, and it seemed to focus too much on how much Amanda hated detectives. I get it, she wants to choose her career, and to have freedom to live her life. What I didn't like was that her parents were not only insistent in pushing her into the 'family business' but they also shot down her dreams, and pretty much said it was a stupid dream. I also didn't like that she was so spoiled and threw a fit if she didn't get her way. I know she's a kid, but at twelve, she should be able to take no without going into a fit every time...upset about not getting sweets...really? Yes they are good, but sweets are a reward or once in a while things, she acts like she lived for sweets. She has this same reaction in almost every area of her life.

I did enjoy the plot, and the mystery aspect was exciting, but her selfish attitude and her parents disregard for her opinion made it hard for me to read.