Even Mummy Cries

Even Mummy Cries - Naomi Hunter **I received a ecopy in exchange for my honest review from the publisher**

Cover: Fitting
Rating: 4 stars
Overall: When a parent cries, it's often not the child's fault.
Characters: good
Plot: To help children when their mother is going through a dark time
Recommend: Yes
Source: Empowering Resources publisher

Short review:
I had mixed feeling on this one too. I agree with the message, when mothers cry, and more so when they are depressed, it's not the child's fault. I also feel though that it should encourage those suffering with depression to seek help. My mother suffers from depression, and I am bipolar, and I know what it's like to have your mother in that dark place. I feel it glosses over everything and acts like it just goes away. Sometimes though I think the children need to be told that it's not their fault, but that their mothers are sick, and I feel mental illness is hidden, or ignored too often. I think children have the right to know as much as anyone else. I enjoyed this book, but like many other things, they glossed over the mother's depression as if it isn't important, and I feel it's a missed opportunity to introduce children to depression, not in depth, but even to mention that it is common, and isn't something to be ashamed of.

Read the full review, and other book posts on my blog: Adventures Thru Wonderland