The Memory of Lost Dreams

The Memory of Lost Dreams - Davon M. Custis I received a free ebook copy from the author for an honest review. Thank you [a:Davon M. Custis|14865434|Davon M. Custis|] for the chance to read and review!

Cover: Fitting
Rating: 3 solid stars
Overall: I had mixed feelings throughout
Characters: Intuiting
Plot: An interesting take, and a solid plot
Page Turner: It could be
Series Cont.? Maybe
Recommend: Maybe

So why not make it better? If we want to see goodness in our lives, we should make it happen. If I can bring just a little help to someone's life, even for a moment, it's better than doing nothing at all.

There was a lot going for this book. I enjoyed seeing the world, both the real world, and REQUIEM through the main character's eyes. Although Malik wasn't my favorite character, he did seem to grow more aware of things after a while. I enjoyed seeing how the history, and current events were explained. My favorite characters were a tie between Jean-Pierre and Zara. I loved how detailed Jean-Pierre's character was, I could picturing him as he spoke to Malik, and Zara was the mysterious yet complex character, which fit both perfectly. I also loved the small detail about the librarian mentioned later on. The ending was a great read, and for that I gave it three stars.

I'll admit, the first half was hard to read. It needs a good editor, but since the author is putting in an effort to learn and better his work, as well as the fact that I agreed to read it for a review, I pushed through. The second half is much better on this point, but anyways. If the whole book had been this way I would have been forced to give a two star rating. If it was edited, and cleaned up, as well as a little less wordy on some of the descriptions in the beginning it could have earns a 4 star rating, but it's not there yet. I also felt that in a way Malik was almost...overlooked? Sure he gets better as the story goes on, but for most of the story he is just a victim of circumstance, not making choices, but allowing others to make the hard choices for him. Jean-Pierre and Zara make up for this later, but the beginning seems rushed, and here we end up following a character we know very little about. I feel that more of his personality and character could have been shown throughout, not all at once, but little pieces here and there.

All in all, it was an interesting book, and got better as it went. I am glad I was able to get through it, I really did end up enjoying it, and am glad I had the chance to read and review it~

See my other reviews, and other book related stuff on my blog: